Saturday, April 25, 2009

I've never had luck with elastic waistbands!











Last weekend I made the Belle Skirt from Favorite Fit. The pattern was ridiculously easy and took only the length of two Battlestar Gallactica episodes to cut out and complete. I used some Amy Butler fabric for the hem (climbing climantis) and some adorable Heather Schmidt fabric for the body of the skirt, which feels softer than regular cotton. The skirt looks good overall, but the waistline is pretty unattractive (see photo above). I followed the directions for a 28" waist, which I am pretty sure that I have, but there is tons of extra fabric that bunches up around the elastic. I need to wear a longer top (as in the photo) to cover up the waist, but it has to be fairly loose (I tried a tighter top and the bunched-up fabric showed through. I plan to try this pattern again using a smaller size and maybe thinner fabric for the waistband.

2 comments:

  1. To quote Gia in Veronica Mars, [reads a card in sex ed class with an STD/STI on it] "uh, mine's wrong, this is a flower" when the teacher points that it's not it's an STD she says "well, we have it growing all over our trellis" and Veronica says "well, your trellis is a whore." Ah, "climbing climantis" you are so pretty, so whore-y. But you sure make yourself into a pretty skirt. Too bad about the waist, you still look pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute fabric combination! I've had that problem with making elastic skirts as well [she says as she rips out her 3rd attempt at fixing said elastic skirt], if it really bothers you, you could try removing the top band, making pleats or gathers with the skirt body, and then cutting a yoke [and facing] out of the top band of fabric instead. That'll help the fabric lay flatter and not bunch so much. But if you keep it the way it is, very cute!

    ReplyDelete