Sunday, May 31, 2009

Victorian Heaven




My friend Whitney and I have a new mission--we are going to bring back the capelet. Specifically the lovely nineteenth-century capelet tripped with ribbons and buttons and all sorts of goodies. What a beautiful garment--it just has that "I'm a serious but passionate woman with a cameo-like face and a steel-like heart so take me in your arms, dark stranger," look. I predict that by Christmas, the fashion world will be falling over themselves to design capelets. And after the high-fashion runway world comes Banana Republic, and after that Macy's, and after that, Target. Capelets are coming back, my friends.

4 comments:

  1. Consider your mission complete! I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I want to enroll in this endeavor. We should start some sort of Capelet Mafia. Or, start a band called Capelet Mafia.

    What pattern did you use for this darling example?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to play the tambourine for Capelet Mafia. Have I told you about the other girl band I want to start called Robbie Roxie?
    I used Simplicity pattern 8910--part of their Holiday collection for really dorky looking Victorian carolers. However, the principle seems to be that of a small circle skirt, with your neck as the waistline. They are quite easy to make, but the trimming takes hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 2 yards of 1" wide lace that I knitted but have nothing to do with. I think I shall make a capelet and trim it with that...

    ReplyDelete